Clash of the compromise

Clash of the compromise

When faced with two options – your own or someone else’s – which will you choose? And how?

Claudia Corrigan | Opinions and Co-Spread Editor

When asked the question, “When should I compromise?” I can’t help but feel somewhat compromised myself. I was taught from a young age that holding true to yourself – and your personal beliefs – was a critical regulator of my self-respect. Regardless of paths my adolescent friends ventured, whether it be prank-calling at one a.m. or stealing candy from the cafeteria baskets, I never gave in to what many parents and teachers explained to be “peer pressure.”

In fifth grade, D.A.R.E. taught us that doing drugs was bad. It put us “under the influence,” and I knew that when I was under the influence of anyone (or thing) other than myself, I was in trouble. I was taught that I couldn’t compromise what clear judgement I had for the thrill of a moment soon to expire. Again, I applied this to what I had learned about self-respect.

But through our lives, it seems we have been cornered. We are not only required to respect ourselves, our beliefs, our needs, our consciences, but also those of our peers. Even if your liberal beliefs regarding same-sex marriage clash with the conservative approach of another, you know you need to accept what that person has to offer you – even if you disagree.

To what extent, however, do you allow for this sort of leeway? When does compromise become a pattern of disrespect towards yourself? Personally, I can’t remember the last time I gave in to following others in actions I disapprove of, but I constantly find myself letting others get their way with the little things – choosing where we should go for lunch, what movie we will watch that night. I challenge myself, and others, to reevaluate how strict or lenient they are in their actions regarding the opinions of others. There’s always room for a little give-and-take, but ultimately the person you are left with is yourself – and you always want to accept him/her.