Remembering Michael Harris

Michael Harris is remembered as an impactful coach by two members of last year’s basketball team. Staff photo by Davis Rich.

Davis Rich | Editor-in-Chief

Ben Simon | Staff Reporter

Ben: We walked to the locker room, eyes glued to the floor after a close loss in the CCS Final. Tears streamed down the faces of all of us as we slowly took our seats in the locker room. Dead silence. Two minutes later, the coaches filed in. Coach Larsen, our head coach, told us how proud he was of us. Assistant coaches Malloy Hester and Antonio Dillon added some touching words.

Then Michael Harris, our lead assistant coach ended the talk.

“Thank you. I want to thank all of you guys for what you were able to accomplish this year. You guys welcomed me to the team with open arms and I cherish you all for putting your hearts into this season. I’ll never forget this team and everything you fought for,” he said. “It’s not over for you guys. All of you will go on to do amazing things. You have to know that.”

We were all in tears. A moment of raw emotion for a team that had bonded together in Los Angeles over winter break, a group of guys that succeeded and struggled together day in and day out for the past five months.

Somehow, Coach Mike kept us from falling apart. He was, without a doubt, the voice of reason on our team. Any time we had an argument during practice, he was there to break it up. Whenever one of us was having a tough time with school work, social life, or the team, he’d be there. He was a truly friendly, positive man at heart.

Davis: Basketball season was tough for me. I made a lot of mistakes on the court, but I knew Coach Mike was always on my side. When I returned to the baseline after making an error (and hearing about it), Coach Mike would sidle up next to me and quietly explain what exactly I did wrong and how I could improve.

I remember one instance when I was the first player off the bench at the beginning of the game–much to my surprise. It showed on the court as our opponents made a quick run to pull ahead and I found myself walking to the bench less than two minutes later. I felt the eyes of my coaches, my teammates, and my peers on me as I sullenly strode to the bench. As a lump formed in my throat, Coach Mike gently told me that I’d get it next time. It makes a lot of sense that he wanted to be a counselor. He was always considerate and patient, despite my frustration with myself. Coach Mike always accentuated the positive and built us up, and that meant a lot to myself and to everyone on the team.

Ben: I had always quietly looked up to Coach Mike, though I never had the chance to tell him. My first season on varsity was an adjustment period, but it was the first season for many others too. Coach Mike was also starting his first year with the program. Coming into the season, I did not really know how to lead, as I had always believed that a leader was the person who could give the inspirational speech or be the loudest player on and off the court. Coach Mike changed my view of what it was to be a leader. He led in a way that required listening to the heartbeat of the team, quietly teaching people on the sidelines, and leading by example. There isn’t a single person I have ever played with or have been coached by who didn’t say one negative comment the whole year, with the exception of Coach Mike. I have also never played with someone who was so great at recognizing the right moments to be constructive and the moments where someone simply needed encouragement to keep them going.

Davis: One of my enduring memories of Coach Mike is his ever-present smile and sense of humor. I’m thinking of weekly emails in which he referred to us as “Knights of Destruction” or “Samurai Warriors” and group texts where the word “hoot” came up in conversation at excessively high rates. He was the guy who kept the team grounded with his humor and down-to-earth nature. He did all the little things, the things that go unnoticed but the things that go a long way in creating a successful team — managing our schedule, assembling video clips, taking our Subway orders.

Ben: On the senior retreat, Michael joined the senior class in his new role as a counselor. Davis, Michael, and I were able to throw the football and play frisbee together, talking about fantasy football projections. The night before we left, after the senior web had finished, we walked out of the building together. Michael was amazed by what he had just experienced: a room full of the Class of 2016 coming together to share an emotional three hours together. That last time I talked to him, he told me how he was looking forward to getting to know us better because he had never seen such a tight knit class. He added that he’d try to make it to as many basketball games as he could this year. I know he’ll be there for each one, as his undying energy and life he brought to the team will always remain. Coach Mike will long be remembered by each and every member of the 2015 men’s basketball team for his constant support, selflessness, and infectious positive character. Coach Mike’s presence both on and off the court will be greatly missed here at Menlo.