Backpack and laptop security at Menlo

Earlier this year, around 10 laptops were stolen from Menlo’s campus. Head of Security Tom Hitchcock discusses laptop and backpack security in light of this event, while students share their experiences with stolen personal property. Staff photo by Lauren Yang. 

By Shelby Rende

With technology becoming more and more a necessity and part of our everyday lives, the threat of laptop theft has become a recurring scene on the Menlo campus. With backpacks laying on the quad, it has become easy for someone to steal our expensive everyday tools.

“There is also a need for students to be aware of the safety of their own property. People get so trusting here [and seem to believe] that nothing ever happens,” Head of Security Tom Hitchcock said. “I think people don’t think about putting their backpacks where people are going to be able to watch them. They just put them wherever it’s convenient.”

“We haven’t had a repeat of this because we have been watching the quads during assembly,” Hitchcock said. While they have security guards on the quad, sometimes backpacks are hidden out of the security guards’ line of sight.

On Halloween, freshman Sophie Reynolds, along with 10 other students, had their laptops stolen during assembly. “I reported it a little late because I didn’t believe it was stolen. I just thought that I had left it at home or lost it,” Reynolds said. Her laptop was stolen on Halloween, and it was never found. Reynolds said that Menlo had told her to call the Atherton police and give them a description and serial number. Like many other victims, Reynolds could not believe that her laptop had been stolen. “I reported it a little late because at first I didn’t believe it was stolen.” This often leads to late reports, making it harder to find the person who stole the laptop.

“I was convinced that I had maybe left it out in the Mandarin room. It never really crossed my mind at first that someone had stolen it,” junior Natalia Cordon said. “But when I came back the other day, I realized that four other girls had lost their laptops, and we realized that someone had probably stolen them.”

Cordon lost her computer last year during the fall musical Avenue Q. Although her laptop was never found, she said that Hitchcock had met with the four students during tutorial and was working with the police.

Many students that get their laptops stolen meet with Hitchcock, who helps direct them to the police. Then, students usually have to give a description and the serial number. However, the police rarely find these stolen laptops.

“You guys know more than anybody else who belongs and who doesn’t, and if you see strangers call me or call security and have us check them out. I would rather check out 1,000 people that are here legitimately than miss that one that is here to do something bad,” Hitchcock said.