Assembly speaker Charles Geschke elaborates on fascinating story

Adobe co-founder Charles Geschke speaks about his kidnapping in 1992, what he learned from it and how Menlo students can apply Geschke’s message to their everyday lives.

By Baily Deeter and Kaitlyn Tom

On Feb. 28, Chuck Geschke, the co-founder of Adobe, spoke about his experience of being kidnapped and the importance of his family during the traumatic time.

Students enjoyed that Geschke’s talk was different than previous speakers. “I feel that this speaker was different from previous speakers in that he did not attempt to hook the audience by relating to the lives of students but rather engage them through telling such an inspiring story, all of which I very much enjoyed,” junior Tucker Matta said.

Geschke’s story that varied from typical Menlo experiences captured students’ attention. “It was a fascinating story and was the best assembly I’ve ever been to,” sophomore Conor McCusker said.

Many students appreciated Geschke’s emphasis on family. “[It] really emphasized family and the lengths that family will go through to save each other. It made me want to call up my grandpa just to say hi,” junior Kelly Campa said. “It reminded us to spend time with and love our families, which is something that we often sacrifice for homework or good grades.”

Matta agrees. “I enjoyed how the speaker was able to tie a personal story to the general concept of the importance of family and apply it to the school environment.”

Overall, students enjoyed that Geschke’s talk deviated from the typical community meeting speaker.