Volleyball’s winning streak snapped in tough loss to Palo Alto

Menlo’s positive momentum was slowed in a three-set loss against Paly. Staff photo David Quezada.

By Emilio Simbeck

The Menlo girls volleyball team was defeated in straight sets by the Palo Alto Vikings on Thursday, September 8, losing 25-21, 26-24, and 25-14. This loss snapped a four-game win streak for the Knights, who defeated Aragon two days prior.

In the first set, Paly got off to a hot start and was able to hold the lead throughout. The second set got off on the same note, but then Menlo got on a hot streak and was able to pull ahead. A kill by Menlo sophomore Grace King tied the set at 18-18, capping off a five-point swing in favor of the Knights. Menlo then claimed a 24-21 lead but was unable to finish the set.

After the second set, the Knights seemed to lose their momentum, and dropped the third one by a wide margin. After the game, Coach Marco Paglialunga of the Knights gave credit to their tough opponent. “They played a really good game and deserved to win […] We showed our limits. This was a good lesson for us.’’ he said.

For the Knights, senior Brown University commit Kristin Sellers led the way with 16 assists, while junior Selina Xu added 10 kills. Xu only recently rejoined the team after going to South America to play with Team USA at the junior national tournament.

The Knights are looking forward to the Chandler Invitational Tournament this weekend, hosted at Menlo.