Boys waterpolo wins OT thriller over St. Francis

Greg Lim
Menlo School boys water polo. Photo by Greg Lim.

Boy’s varsity water polo defeats Saint Francis in sudden-death. Photo by Greg Lim.

By Abby Wolfenden

On Friday night, the boys’ varsity water polo team went head-to-head in a match against Saint Francis, winning the game 11-10 in a sudden-death. Key players included senior captain Jayden Kunwar and junior Sam Untrecht, who both had hat tricks on the night. Sophomore goalie Josh Poulos held his own between the posts, contributing seven saves and an assist.

The majority of the game was evenly matched, but the Knights were able to pull through when it mattered most. Down a score with three minutes left in regulation, junior Maxwell Patterson netted a crucial goal, assisted by senior Miller Geske, to tie the game and take the Knights into sudden-death overtime. Poulos then threw a perfect pass to assist Untrecht in the game-winning goal. The Menlo team really came alive on defense, with senior captain Niko Bhatia contributing seven steals. Friday’s victory made the team’s season record 12-3.

Looking ahead at this week, the Knights will take on Sacred Heart Prep on Tuesday Oct. 10 and Woodside High School on Wednesday Oct. 11. They will also play in the North-South Tournament next weekend.