Menlo’s air raid slices through South City in blowout

Menlo football stayed undefeated in league play last Friday night with a win over SSF. Staff photo by Bella Scola.

By Sid Chari

The Menlo football team travelled north to South San Francisco high school last friday and routed the Warriors in a 48-13 victory. The Knights were able to pull away and make the game uncompetitive quickly, as the scoreboard read 35-6 at the half.

Senior quarterback Emilio Simbeck was a big part in destroying South City’s hopes, throwing for 254 yards and four touchdowns, adding another score on the ground as well. Schmaier, a senior receiver, was his top target on the night, totalling over 200 yards receiving and two touchdowns.

Israelski was a force in the run game, taking eight carries for 54 yards. This was Israelski’s first game without a touchdown, as the efforts through the air took much pressure off his shoulders.

Unfortunately, the game got dangerously chippy, and South City was flagged for several targeting calls as well as unnecessary roughness. As a result, Menlo lost two way starter Brody Laporte to injury, who was targeted after a play late in the game.

Several days after the game, Menlo’s star running back and corner Aidan Israelski also started to feel major tightness in his leg, and along with LaPorte, will be unable to suit up in their next game.

This win brings Menlo’s league record to 2-0 and their overall record to 4-2. Their next matchup is Friday, October 13 under the lights at Sequoia. After losing several key players, they will look to juniors Kevin Chen and Dillon Grady to fill in key roles at safety, receiver and running back, along with senior running back Jake Shiff.