Volleyball stays undefeated in league with senior night sweep

Menlo won their rematch with NDB on senior night. Staff photo by Sam Fortenbaugh.

By Sam Fortenbaugh

On Menlo volleyball’s senior night, the lady Knights faced off against Notre Dame Belmont in a West Bay Athletic League matchup. Riding off the energy of such a special senior night at home, Menlo elevated its game and won in three quick sets.

The Sea of Gold brought their “A-game” with posters and blowups of some of the seniors’ faces, contributing to a great positive atmosphere. Senior night was an emotional night for the six seniors because they get to look back on their journey since freshman year and realize that this is one of their last nights playing volleyball at Menlo. Playing with all they had the Knights swept with sets scores of 25-18, 25-13 and 25-19.

Menlo’s strong offense attack started with their eight aces. Junior Sianna Houghton’s aerial attack led the team, contributing three aces. The Knights really dropped the kids off on Wednesday night, totalling 34 assists, including a majority 19 from Brown bound Kristin Sellers. The Knights tallied nine blocks as well.

Senior Ryan Hodge played with an extra step to her game on the special evening, as she accounted for one third of the team’s blocks by herself. Grace Enright was everywhere on defense, finishing with 15 digs.

The Knights maintained control throughout the game as no set got within 5 points. On the court, they showed lots of composure, never getting too jubilant.

The Knights have kept their top spot in the league as the moved to 8-0 in league after their win over Notre Dame, and their total record has improved to 19-3. The defending state champions are looking like they are in a good position to repeat last year’s success. The Knights have now headed down to San Diego for the HUDL Southern California Invitational.