Football gets back on track with 35-8 win over Jefferson

Menlo bounced back from two close losses with a stellar effort against Jefferson, dominating from the start in a 35-8 win. Staff photo: Casey Kline.

By Casey Kline

Menlo defeated the Jefferson Grizzlies 35-8 last Saturday in the first round of the CCS playoffs. The game was Mark Newton’s 100th win as Menlo’s head coach.

Standout junior Dillon Grady opened up the scoring when he intercepted a Jefferson pass and returned it for a 79-yard touchdown. Menlo proceeded to score the next four touchdowns to take a 35-0 lead before conceding Jefferson’s first touchdown.

Senior Jake Shiff led the Knights’ offensive attack with 52 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries. Sophomore James Marren made his varsity debut, rushing the ball six times for 17 yards. Backup quarterback Kevin Alarcon came into the game once Menlo was ahead and had a solid performance, completing all three of his passes for 52 yards and a touchdown.

Senior linebacker David Schmaier led Menlo’s defense with 10 tackles, including two tackles for loss, along with 25 receiving yards and a receiving touchdown.

Sophomore kicker Santiago Garcia-Mendez, making his varsity debut, made all five of his extra points.

Menlo, the second seed in the eight-team bracket, will host sixth-seeded Scotts Valley at 1:00 pm on Saturday, November 25 in the CCS semifinals.