Cross country sends multiple runners to state meet

Sally Li
Menlo School Cross Country. Photo by Sally Li.

Several members of the cross country program, both boys and girls, competed in the state championships last weekend. Freshman Kamran Murray is pictured here running in a race earlier this season. Photo courtesy of Sally Li.

By Silas Stewart

The cross country teams took part in the CIF Division IV state finals on Saturday. Both the girls and boys teams had successful outings.

The two male athletes who competed, senior Robert Miranda and freshmen Kamran Murray, placed third and seventeenth, respectively. Miranda added one more stellar race to his phenomenal senior season. Miranda has finished first seven times this fall and will look to continue his dominance at Yale next year.

“It’s been a fun year all around,” Miranda said. “As a team we set some pretty high goals at the beginning of the season and across the board, we’ve lived up to them. We’ve got a lot to be proud of,” he said, reflecting on the season as a whole.

The girls team also had a solid end to the season, with seven athletes qualifying for the state championships. Sophomore Charlotte Tomkinson led the way, placing 35th. Sophomore Kyra Pretre was the second best on the team, placing 100th.

Overall, the season has been a success for both teams, and they will look to continue to be great next season.