Boys basketball defeats Eastside despite sluggish performance

Senior Joe Foley scored 28 points to pace the boys basketball team in a 66-55 victory over Eastside. Photo courtesy of Pam Tso McKenney.

By Baily Deeter

Despite a sluggish performance throughout, the Knights managed to defeat the Eastside Panthers 66-55 on Tuesday behind Joe Foley’s 28 points.

Foley, who scored 40 against Eastside last year, had a similarly effective performance to pace the Knights. He shot 73.3 % from the field and also posted four assists and three steals. Riley Woodson had a double-double with 16 points and 16 rebounds, while Thomas Brown knocked down a trio of three-pointers to finish with 13 points.

Menlo got off to a fast start, claiming an 18-7 lead at the end of the first quarter. Menlo could never pull away, however, as it was outscored in the second half as Eastside kept close. Isaiah Saams-Hoy scored 25 to keep the Panthers in the game.

Senior Joe Foley indicated that the Knights didn’t play their best game. “It was definitely a rough game for us overall,” he said. “We had to rely on our defense since our offense wasn’t clicking.”

With the win, the Knights advance to a stellar 17-1 overall with an undefeated 9-0 record in league play. Menlo will face Sacred Heart on Thursday before a critical non-league battle with University Prep, arguably its most difficult game in the remainder of its regular-season slate. “We need to play as a team and get back to what we’ve been doing for these next two games,” Foley said.