Menlo wins big non-conference matchup

Joe Foley surveys the court versus University High. Staff photo by Connor Van Ligten.

By Connor Van Ligten

Saturday’s matchup was an important one for this Knights’ squad. At home, the team faced their toughest non-conference opponent yet in University High School. Although the matchup was relatively closer than most, the Knights still were in control and emerged victorious, with a score of 68-57.

Senior Joe Foley shined with one of the best performances of the season, putting up a statline of a game-high 28 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists, converting 10 of his 15 field goal attempts and 7 for 7 on free throws. Foley’s defensive contributions were just as important, as he racked up 3 steals, 2 blocks, and 4 deflections. The rest of the team didn’t disappoint. Sophomore Cole Kastner scored 15 points and senior Riley Woodson had 12 rebounds.

While the Red Devils had their fair share of scoring, with Spencer Spivey’s 25 leading the team in scoring, they were never able to gain the lead beyond the first period. The Red Devils were handed their second loss of the season so far. Menlo’s record improved to 19-1 overall. They play Harker in San Jose next on Tuesday, February 6th, at 7:30 p.m.