Girls lacrosse defeats SHP in league championship

Sam Fortenbaugh, Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Lauren Ferguson.

On Saturday night, May 12th, the varsity girls lacrosse team defeated rival Sacred Heart Prep ten to five in the West Bay Athletic League tournament championship at Palo Alto High School.

The Knights finished the year with a 15-5 overall and 11-1 in league. Winning a league title is the most important championship in lacrosse because there isn’t a CCS postseason. The team was thrilled to face off against their rivals one more time.

The Knights were down early in the game, but kept fighting. They went on a tear to end the first half up eight to three. In the second half, both teams scored two goals each.

The Knights had many individual contributions in the game. Senior Abby Wolfenden, who will continue to play lacrosse next year at Haverford College, had a hat trick and six draw controls. Junior co-captain Charlotte Swisher also had a hat trick. Freshman Tatum Constant had two assists, while junior Sophie Scola had a goal and assist. In net, sophomore Alyssa Sahami recorded five saves. In addition, Swisher led the teams in ground balls while junior Lauren Ferguson, Constant and both Sophie and Bella Scola each picked up two ground balls. Sophomore Page Wolfenden and Bella Scola both had two takeaways.

“It felt like everything we had been working for all season had come together. Our defense was working as a unit, our midfielders were getting all the 50/50s and our attackers were finishing their plays with goals! It was such a fun and competitive game to end the season with,” Ferguson said.