How COVID-19 Has Impacted Attendance at Sporting Events

Menlo+students+attended+the+girls+basketball+game+against+Pinewood+for+their+senior+night.+Staff+photo%3A+Lexi+Friesel.+

Lexi Friesel

Menlo students attended the girls basketball game against Pinewood for their senior night. Staff photo: Lexi Friesel.

Ty Richardson, Staff Writer

COVID-19 has changed almost every aspect of life at Menlo, and one of the areas it has affected most is athletics. With Menlo sports being very successful throughout various sports the past couple of years, the need to strike a balance between school spirit and spectator safety has been at the forefront of decision-making for the administration and Athletics Department.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent omicron surge, Menlo previously chose to limit fans at sporting events. “With the rules surrounding COVID-19 continually changing, so are our spectator policies. For instance, last year and even into the fall, we had to check for proof of vaccination and limit the number of spectators at our specific venues,” Ward said. 

The rapidly changing environment with new variants such as omicron as well as school breaks forces the administration to constantly adapt. “During the winter season, we haven’t had to check vaccination status but, since we returned from the holiday break, we haven’t been able to allow fans at our basketball games,” Ward said before attendance to games opened up. Athletic Director Earl Koberlein shared similar thoughts. “Because of the omicron surge, we [allowed] spectators for games outside but not […] for indoor sports. Everyone [had] to be masked.”

The School, in consultation with the Medical Advisory Committee, makes decisions with the community’s safety in mind. “Last year we limited spectators to family members. This fall, we required vaccines and limited spectators. At our games now, we are making sure everyone is masked and following proper COVID protocols,” Ward added. Menlo school released its most recent update regarding COVID-19 safety protocols via an email to the community on Monday, Jan. 31. All sports fans are now welcome to attend games, but they must wear masks if the game is indoors.

Both Ward and Koberlein had hoped that when COVID cases dropped, the pre-COVID-19 sports’ atmosphere would return and stands would be packed for Menlo sporting events. “When COVID is no longer as big a threat, I would envision sports going back to normal: players not having to wear masks and spectators being allowed without limits.”

Due to a recent decline in positive tests on campus and in the community, all sports fans are now welcome to attend games, but they must wear masks if the game is indoors. This in turn has helped bring back attendance for basketball senior nights and both boys and girls basketball playoffs.