Students React to Eventful 2022 NFL Draft

May 10, 2022

Sutton Inouye

The NFL Draft changes athletes’ lives the moment their name is called, but the Draft also greatly impacts fans. High overall picks can make a major impact on any team, and evoke a variety of reactions from supporters. Staff illustration: Sutton Inouye

The 2022 National Football League (NFL) draft recently took place in Las Vegas, where 262 prospects heard their names called on the big stage. A variety of NFL fans at Menlo reacted to the decisions made by their favorite teams. 

While the majority of Menlo NFL fans are loyal to the local San Francisco 49ers, many students are dedicated to teams from across the country. The 49ers did not have a draft pick in the first round, but other popular teams made big decisions 

Junior Charlie King, a serious Green Bay Packers fan, shared his thoughts on the draft. “I really like the Devonte Wyatt pick for the Packers,” King said. Wyatt played defensive end for the national champion Georgia Bulldogs. “For his height and size, he’s extremely athletic, and I can’t wait for him to play in Green Bay,” King said. King wanted the Packers to pick a wide receiver, but “none of the first round worthy receivers were available,” King explained. 

Junior Beck Aronowitz, a lifelong Pittsburgh Steelers fan, liked their first-round selection of Kenny Pickett. “Although he reminds me of Mitchell Tribusky in a sense, I really like Pickett’s upside,” Aronowitz said. Pickett played quarterback at the University of Pittsburgh and went viral for his fake slide in a game against Wake Forest University. “I’m excited to see Pickett in a Steelers jersey,” Aronowitz said. “I know his upside is tremendous, and I am eager to watch him.”

There were also a few big trades on draft night that shocked fans. The Tennessee Titans traded star wide receiver AJ Brown to the Philadelphia Eagles. Additionally, the Baltimore Ravens dealt Marquise Brown to the Arizona Cardinals. Junior Nikhil Agarwal, an avid Baltimore Ravens fan, was surprised by the trades. “AJ Brown to the Eagles was a wild move,” Agarwal said. “I also feel that the Ravens could have gotten more for [Marquise] Brown.” 

After the chaotic first day of the NFL draft, teams settled down and made their later round selections on days two and three. King was particularly happy with the Packers selection of Christian Watson, a wide receiver from North Dakota State University. “We all know the Packers need a wide receiver, and [general manager] Brian Gutekunst made an awesome selection,” King said. “Watson and Aaron Rodgers are going to be fun to watch.”

The NFL draft concluded with the longstanding tradition of the last selection in the draft or “Mr. Irrelevant.” The final draft pick takes part in “Irrelevant Week” and travels to Disneyland, among other activities. This year, the 49ers help this final position and selected Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy. While later round selections don’t tend to see much playing time in the NFL, Purdy may be able to become the first “Mr. Irrelevant” to complete a pass in an NFL game if he makes an appearance for the 49ers.