iPads: A step toward the future of learning?

Eleven months after the iPad was released, fifteen million had already been sold, making the product the fastest selling piece of technology in history.  Since this summer, that figure will certainly have climbed as Menlo has decided to follow the trend of schools requiring tablets.  Every freshman, sophomore, and junior must bring an iPad to school everyday in order to do work, take notes, and complete homework on the fly.  It is still uncertain as to whether or not the iPads will turn out to be useful on a daily basis.

As junior Kate Huneke put it, “I don’t think the iPads are really necessary because we already have so much technology from past years.  Laptops are definitely good enough.”  Many teachers have different rules and philosophies surrounding the students’ new hardware, and it is understood that the application of the iPads will be more effective in some classes than others.

English teacher Ohad Paran said, as he paused music coming from the very same device, “I think the iPad is the greatest invention since paper.  As you can see [from my class] we will be using them all day every day.”  In the history department, teachers have asked students to bring the charged iPad to class daily in order to view handouts electronically.  First year world religions teacher Charles Wetherell jokingly added, “It saves paper.”  Students are also using the iPad in science and math, to view documents and tutorials online.

Despite the excitement surrounding the advanced technology, many students are skeptical as to whether the capabilities outweigh the drawbacks.  Sophomore Spencer Witte said, “For some students, it might be more of a toy than a tool.”

Senior Alexander Carlisle, not required to purchase an iPad, expressed a feeling of relief, “I felt bad that it was going to be mandatory for the other grades, and I was pretty glad that I wouldn’t have to get an iPad because I think taking notes with pencil and paper is quicker and more convenient.”

In addition to Carlisle, freshman Raphael Serrano, new to the school and the iPad, articulated his skepticism, revealing, “I think I’ll only do about ten to fifteen percent of my work on the iPad.”

On the other hand, these same students spoke of the potential usefulness of the new technology, especially for students who struggle with neatness and organization, as the iPads allow students to store all the years’ notes on one device.

Only time will tell whether the technology department and faculty made the right decision in mandating iPads across all classes and subjects.  As classes ramp up and more homework is assigned, an iPad will always be available, either helping or hurting the situation.