From the Editor-in-Chief

Once a year, the Menlo community gathers to honor the achievements of students who have made exceptional academic accomplishments. “Sports and arts are always getting recognition, but academics never do,” is a common argument in favor of Student Achievement Night. And to that, I would say I agree. But, in reality, Student Achievement Night doesn’t fulfill that goal.

Now I’ll start this out by saying, during my three years at Menlo I have received awards at Student Achievement Night. You’re probably really confused right about now. You might be thinking, “then why is she even complaining?” I’m not going to pretend that I abhor the concept behind giving out academic awards, but the system as it is now is an unfair representation of students’ academic talents and interests.

Take, for example, U.S. history. All juniors at Menlo are required to take some form of U.S. History, with an option between the regular and AP class. Electing to take an AP class can be seen is a sign that a student likes the subject enough to put in some extra time and effort. Yet, somehow this isn’t translated into the awards received. At Student Achievement Night, both APUSH and RUSH students are given awards. Of course, receiving an award shouldn’t be the motivation behind taking a specific class, but the student’s interest in the subject material should be. And choosing to take a more difficult course is one way of showing interest in the subject.

What’s more, for an event that is supposed to recognize accomplishments, Student Achievement Night is remarkably unknown. Menlo prides itself on balancing sports, arts, and academics equally. But unlike sports games and arts events, which are widely advertised and attended by students, teachers, and parents alike, Student Achievement Night is usually only attended by the families of the students receiving awards, as well as faculty. This is partly because the event is not publicized to the student body and many students do not even know it exists. It seems strange that in a school where sports, arts, and academics are supposed to be on equal footing, the one event that is meant to recognize academic achievements remains mysterious and hidden to many students.

Admittedly, Student Achievement Night is an imperfect system, but it’s not completely devoid of any merit (I’m so punny!). Academics deserve to be honored just like sports and arts, but it should be in a supportive environment, like sporting and artisitic events, instead of the inferiority and exclusivity that seems to surround the evening.