Valuing the arts

The arts play an important role in our education for various reasons.

Becky Swig | Editor-in-Chief
Photo by Becky Swig

Currently, students only need to take one year of arts in order to meet the graduation requirements for Menlo. For me, I completed that freshman year and barely remember my experience in an arts class. All I remember is sitting in the class every day with five other kids, playing some music, and hanging out. I also remember how I used this class as a creative outlet. Whatever stress I was feeling or whatever was going on with me that day, I knew that I could go to class, play music, de-stress, and feel rejuvenated.

This could just be the aspiring musician in me, but taking an arts class was really beneficial. What people don’t realize is that the arts are a necessity with creativity. Music, art, dance, drama, photography, chorus- they all having something in common- thinking outside of the box.

You may not realize it, but thinking outside of the box is very important to learning (even in math and science)! There is always more than one way to solve a problem, and it might take a bit of creativity or a new way of thinking to get there. I know that there are often times that I am able to solve a problem after I spend half an hour playing the guitar, or listening to music, or doing something that takes some creativity. This could be a stretch, but I have noticed that I am always relaxed afterwards.

The point is that using the arts as a creative outlet is crucial. It allows you to relax, to think creatively, and to have fun. It not only makes me a better student, but also a happier, and healthier, one.