Teacher Profile: Joan Iwamoto

Ever stop by the bookstore? Get to know the friendly face there, Joan Iwamoto!          

Alex Edidin | Staff Reporter
Zoey Lieberman | Staff Reporter
Photo courtesy Joan Iwamoto

CoA: What was your first job?
JI: Babysitting. I babysat for 25 cents an hour, and I thought I was making good money if it went up to 50 cents. Eventually it went up to a dollar when I had four kids to watch! That was many many years ago… I think I was in 8th grade.

CoA: What’s your favorite TV show?
JI: Ooooh […] this is kind of silly because it’s an old show but it’s “Will and Grace.” It’s just a sitcom!

CoA: What is your most embarrassing moment?
JI: Oh, I know. I angered a teacher so badly that he threw a piece of chalk at me. I questioned his answer, I didn’t believe he stated what was correct, so I spoke up and he got really angry. I had done some reading for science, and I didn’t understand his explanation and felt it wasn’t right so I spoke up. He didn’t like my questioning so he threw chalk, and I was sooo embarrassed. My classmates were shocked partly because I did speak up, but it was his reaction that scared them.

CoA: What is your most sentimental object?
JI: Letters from my kids from when they were really young. They used to draw little pictures, and my daughter would right good night notes to me because I would be at meetings. So when she would go to bed, she’d write these little notes, so I think those would be my most sentimental objects.

View Comments (1)