Menlo, A Culture of Ideological Exclusivity?

Does Menlo marginalize conservative opinions and promote ideological exclusivity?

Rory Plewman | Opinions Editor

Today Menlo discussed the tumult in Baltimore with a teacher-led panel as well as a question-and-answer session during assembly. I, like many other students, felt that the assembly provided a comprehensive account of the systemic violence against African-American males at the hands of police officers of the recent months, and felt informed, as well as interested upon leaving the assembly. However, some students felt miffed at the apparent one-sided nature of the presentation.

One anonymous Menlo student in particular felt as though his point of view was not being accurately represented by the ‘carefully selected panel.’ “It takes more than one opinion to have a discussion,” he stated simply following the assembly. He wanted to see more discussion, rather than more people simply affirming each other’s beliefs.

Just to give one example, whilst the panel touched upon many other aspects of the debate, they did not touch upon how difficult it is to be a police officer, and how hard it is to make decisions under pressure. This anonymous Menlo student was not the only one that felt as though their view points are marginalized. Another student, who also chose to remain anonymous felt strongly that Menlo does not breed a culture in which he feels comfortable sharing his views. “At Menlo, it is hard to voice a dissenting opinion, as you are immediately labeled as a racist, homophobe, sexist or misogynist,” the anonymous student said.

And whilst I may not agree with this person’s views, I agree that, at Menlo, it is hard for some people to voice viewpoints that run counter to popular opinion. As Voltaire wisely stated, “I do not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” I think that Menlo should make more of an effort to breed discussion, for discussion is the driving force behind change.

For the interested, regardless of political stance, please consider attending the meeting on Monday during lunch in the gym, where we will be discussing Baltimore further.