Weekly Restaurant Column: Coupa Cafe

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Need a new place to try? Try Coupa Cafe in downtown Palo Alto! 

Eliza Crowder | Copy Editor 

If you are a downtown Palo Alto enthusiast like myself, as may be evident from the locations of the previous restaurants I have reviewed, you will be glad to know more about one of the hidden gems that I am about to write about! Coupa Café is one of my favorite little breakfast/lunch places to go with friends and family. Located on 538 Ramona Street, Coupa provides the perfect setting for catching up with friends and enjoying delicious food.
     With both indoor and outdoor seating, Coupa will suit you and your taste buds on any day, rain or shine. Many praise Coupa for having the “Best Coffee in Town,” but I have come to understand that just about anything on their menu should be denoted “Best _____ in Town!” Because Coupa is most famous for its coffee, tea, and breakfast specialties, many may not know that the restaurant is actually a Venezuelan inspired cuisine, resulting in many people neglecting the fact that it serves some of the most authentic and delicious food in town. Although they take 10-15 minutes to prepare, Coupa’s “Arepas” ($7-$15) are a great option for the more adventurous eaters out there! These traditional Venezuelan dish, a “corn pancake” stuffed with various meats and veggies inside, is something that you truly cannot find anywhere else around here.
     However, for those of you that are looking for a more basic meal, I will list off some of my favorite dishes. For breakfast, I would recommend the oatmeal ($6.95), the breakfast wrap ($10.95), and any of the omelettes ($8-$10), which all come with fresh fruit and a baguette along side. But above all, if you end up going to Coupa for breakfast, you must try either try their waffles ($9.75, with fruit, whipped cream, and nutella), or their sweet crepes ($7-$9, usually with nutella, fruit, and cream as well). For lunch, I would recommend their salads, paninis, and savory crepes – specifically the Palo Alto Chopped Salad ($10.25), the Arugula and Avocado Salad ($10.75), the Capresa Panini ($9.50), or the Pesto Chicken Crepe ($9.25).
      In all honesty, I can sit here and throw out as many suggestions as possible, but it would be more efficient and worth your time to just try this place for yourself! You will surely find something among the vast menu that you like. The detailed menu offers such a large number of wholesome, delectable dishes that you will be sure to find something that will be of interest to you!