Weekly Restaurant Review: Jougert Bar

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Get to know a fun, trendy new spot for a quick breakfast or lunch in downtown Burlingame. Staff photo by Eliza Crowder.

Eliza Crowder | Copy Editor

One of my favorite food stops in all of the world is the Chobani Bar in the Soho neighborhood in New York City. After visiting it for the first time two summers ago, I instantly fell in love and have been waiting for it to make its way to the Bay Area. To my greatest disappointment, the Chobani Bar has remained faithful to the East Coast and has ignored its western counterparts.

However, not to worry because a trendy new Greek yogurt hub recently popped in downtown Burlingame, and comes in a close second to Chobani Soho. I first heard about Jougert Bar from a friend who lives in Burlingame and I immediately put it at the top of my list of new places to try.

Jougert’s menu is comprised of two main parts: their own geniusly-crafted yogurt-parfait combinations and a “create your own combination” section. For those of you not so crazy about Greek yogurt hype (and I know that there are many of you out there), don’t turn away yet because Jougert also offers a wide variety of delectable salads, sandwiches, and unique coffee blends, ranging from $7 to $12.

While Jougert’s recommended combinations were very enticing, I decided to concoct my own perfect combo (right in featured image): a mix of non-fat Greek yogurt with peaches, bananas, dried figs, and honey. (Pro-tip: ordering honey in your creation at Jougert is a must. Because of the bitterness of the Greek yogurt, the extra splash of sweetness adds the perfect touch and ties together your combination.) My friend  wisely ordered a mixture of non-fat Greek yogurt with blueberries and coconut shavings (left in featured image). The wide range of toppings allows for an endless variety of possible combinations. The yogurt mixtures can also be made into dessert options, just by adding ingredients such as peanut butter, chocolate, almonds, and more on top.

One of my favorite aspects of Jougert is how fast the food arrives, making it the perfect place to stop and grab a quick bite if you’re in a hurry. I also find it to be a nice little treat to get on my way to or from the San Francisco airport, since it’s so conveniently close. 

Just like I did, be sure to put Jougert at the top of your must-go-to restaurant list and you will surely thank me later!

See you next week!