Weekly Restaurant Column: Sushirrito

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Looking for a trendy new spot to grab a quick bite for lunch? Check out this review to see if Sushirrito is the restaurant for you!

Eliza Crowder | Copy Editor 

Are you a die-hard fan of both Mexican and Japanese cuisine? If so, Sushirrito is the restaurant for you. Before I tried it for the first time, I had always heard about Sushirrito from my dad, who works in San Francisco in an office building just around the corner from one of the few Sushirrito locations. Being a big fan of both Japanese and Mexican food, it came as a very pleasant surprise to me when a new Sushirrito popped up in Downtown Palo Alto. Sushirrito is a unique, trendy yet casual restaurant that sells giant sushi rolls in a burrito-like fashion. Now heed this warning – if you aren’t the biggest fan of sushi, this place may not be the restaurant for you. On the flipside, if you have even the smallest affinity for sushi in any way, give Sushirrito a try because the flavors are so unique and delicious.

If you’re planning to try Sushirrito out, plan to arrive a few minutes earlier than you usually would for a lunch date, as there is typically a line out the door. Sushirrito is an order, get your food, and sit down type of restaurant, making it a casual option for a fun lunch with friends. One unique feature of Sushirrito is that once you order, you then get to walk along the counter to witness your sushi burrito as it gets assembled.

The price of the sushi burritos can range anywhere from $9-12, and although they don’t match the size of a regular burrito, they are quite filling. Even if you aren’t a huge fan of raw fish, there are other options at Sushirrito that are equally good if not better. By far my favorite sushi burrito is the “Caballero,” (pictured right) which has sake-asada beef, napa cabbage, radish, carrots, jicama, red peppers, blue corn chips, and ginger guacamole. Another classic is the “Geisha’s Kiss,” which is filled with Yellowfin tuna (hand-line caught), tamago, piquilo peppers, lotus chips, cucumber, and ginger guacamole. Whether the sushi burrito contains cooked or raw meat, every single one has the same exterior. The contents of the sushi burrito are held in a white rice outer layer which is wrapped in seaweed.

Both the Sushirrito in San Francisco and the one in Palo Alto have quite limited seating options – it is crucial to try and find/claim the first open table you lay eyes on. Otherwise, I recommend getting the sushi burritos to go and finding a nice setting to enjoy them – whether that be a park, a bench on the street, or even at home in front of the TV!

The one criticism I have for Sushirrito actually attests to how delicious it is: they aren’t open long enough! Sushirrito’s hours are 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., making it difficult for high school students to try it for dinner since it closes so early. I went to Sushirrito multiple times over the summer, but I haven’t carved out the time in my schedule yet this school year since they just aren’t open long enough.

So if you’re looking for a new, unique lunch place to try – Sushirrito is perfect for you!