Steve and Sally: Relationship Advice

Q: What to do if your significant other has different political views than you?

Sally:

As it is currrently a very tense time in politics due to the exciting election, political conversation is more common among teenagers than what would be considered typical. This is especially prevalent if you and your significant other have recently become old enough to vote.

The most important thing to do is be super respectful. If you couldn’t stand to date someone with different political views than you, then that might be something you want to think about. However, as you move forward in your romantic life it is not realistic to only feel compatible with someone who shares the exact same viewpoints as you.

Because chances are you and your significant have different political opinions in some regard, the most important thing is to maintain respect. If having conversations about politics with him/her leads to fighting and tension between the two of you, maybe agree not to talk about it.

However, being able to talk to someone who has a different opinion than your own is a good way to challenge yourself to maintain interest and respect in what he/she has to say, even if it doesn’t match up with what you agree with it. But if you’re not mature enough to have these sort of conversations without it turning into a screaming match—it might be better to avoid the topic all together.

TL;DR: You should be able to have a respectful and thoughtful conversation about your differing opinions.

Sincerely, Sally

Steve:

You have been hanging out with this girl for a while now, and you think you like her. She’s a small town girl livin’ in a lonely world, and you’re a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit. Her country upbringing contributes significantly to her severely Right Wing, borderline Tea Partyist political views. Whilst your industrial city roots have swayed you left over the years, resulting in a great political rift between the two of you. Some will win, and some will lose the political arguments that you too have, and let me tell you that you will never here the end of her political rants and raves, it goes on and on, and on, and on.

Okay, now that I’ve taken you on that lovely literary Journey (my self hate has dropped to new depths, I now wear goth eyeliner and listen to Death Cab for Cutie just to feel some semblance of emotion again) let’s get to the crux of the argument. Your significant other doesn’t share the same political beliefs as you, what should you do? Whether she’s a rabies infested, immigrant wrangling, wall building, let’s-do-anything-in-our-power-to-irrevocably-screw-future-generations Trump supporter or a self-righteous, chest thumping, soapbox standing, bleeding heart, Facebook posting, sign waving, Bernie supporter, it’s important to respect her beliefs. Even if you think her beliefs are simply incorrect, you must remember that respect is the pillar of any relationship.

Instead of making character judgements about your significant other challenge him or her to justify his or her beliefs to you. This will make for some intense political jousting, just make sure that no projectiles (blenders, Daniel’s white vans, meaningless Menlo parking tickets) are within easy reach if things do go South. And if you are someone who is so enraptured with a candidate, or a stance on a social issue, that being in a relationship with someone who doesn’t hold the same steadfast belief as you is simply impossible, get over yourself. You are an educated person, convey your passion to your significant other and if they truly respect you than they will be able to accept your stance on the issue. Unless she claims she is voting for Trump – then you should take a more drastic course of action. Invite her to a nice sit-down dinner, Arby’s is my go to, and then hire some petty criminals that Governor Brown has insisted on releasing and build a massive stone wall around the Arby’s yelling , “Is this what you want? You wanted a wall? You’re gonna get your freaking wall!!” If this fails to sway her then proceed to douse the Arby’s in gasoline and ask her if she’s ready to, “FEEL THE BERN.”

TL;DR: I have just been told by my editor that condoning murder is illegal, it’s political correctness gone mad I say! Please don’t murder your significant at an Arby’s, and if you vote Trump I will personally rearrange your face with a rusty garden implement and force feed you blended Sodexo food for the rest of your days.

Sincerely,
Steve