March Album Review

Here is what you missed in the music industry this month! 

By Kaitlyn Tom 

Birdy: Beautiful Lies
Known for her cover of “Skinny Love”, this album showcases the British singer’s Lana del Ray-esque voice. This album sounds a bit travel-inspired, from the kimono she wears on the cover of the album, to the tribal sounding beats in “Growing Pains”.
Recommended: “Unbroken”
This song is truly beautiful with it’s repeating chords that are ever so slightly delayed behind the beat of this song. Birdy shows off her higher range in this song with a simple melody, that is occasionally accompanied with a lower melody that comes in with the chorus.

Kendrick Lamar: untitled unmastered.
This album is taken straight from Lamar’s creative process, and the unique titling of the songs in the album show that. The songs in the album tentatively approach topics like social justice, which bring meaning to an otherwise surface-level catchy album.
Recommended: “untitled 04”
The singing in unison in the beginning of the song followed by quick-whisper rapping make this song instantaneously intriguing. The other-worldly falsettos sound great when they’re backed up with a chorus of snaps.

Zayn: Mind of Mine
Released exactly a year from him leaving One Direction, Zayn makes a more-than-subtle statement that he is officially done with the band. This album veers from the typical pop-rock style that the band has, and Zayn finds his individuality in a more R&B style album, complete with riffs and falsettos.
Recommended: “fOoL fOr YoU”
The simple melodic piano in the beginning sets off the nostalgic tone for the rest of the song. At around 0:50, the chorus kicks in, with heavier piano chords and complex riffs. From here on out in the song, a strong beat takes hold in the background, which makes this song so catchy.

Gwen Stefani: This Is What the Truth Feels Like
A pop icon, Stefani finally came out with a new album, that makes us forget about the songs she wrote that we used to play on our first iPods. This album has a bit of an older sound, but still has modern beats and sounds that we’re used to hearing on the radio.
Recommended: “Make Me Like You”
Already on the radio, this upbeat song’s off beat verses are just as catchy as the chorus. This song, like the rest of the album, sounds a bit like it’s from the 80’s, but the fresh spin on an old sound makes this song stand out from the rest of the album.