May Album Review

The month of May was filled with tons of hit songs and albums. See which ones you missed by checking out the album review below.

By Kaitlyn Tom

Kygo: Cloud Nine
For the first time after a long slew of remixes and singles, Kygo is finally releasing his new album. The album starts off with a completely instrumental song that is worth a listen, and is followed up by catchy songs.

Recommended: “Nothing Left”
This laidback song starts off with strong piano chords which are coupled with a low bass voice. Later on in the song, pizzicato strings accompany the instrumentals, which differs from the rest of the songs in his album.

Meghan Trainor: Thank You
This singer is known for her combination of pop and doo-wop, but in this album, she shows off a more intense side of herself with increasingly empowering songs (like the song “NO” that has been playing on practically every radio station).

Recommended: “Woman Up”
With an album filled with such a diverse range of songs that are all so unique in their own ways (some of my favorites are “I Love Me” and “Dance Like Yo Daddy”), it’s extremely difficult to pick just one standout. However, “Woman Up” takes the recommendation because of it’s empowering message to girls that they are “more than good enough”.

Pierce the Veil: Misadventures
The punk rock group released its first album in 3 years. While their last album, Selfish Machines, contained some softer songs, this album is mainly comprised of hard rock songs.

Recommended: “Gold Medal Ribbon”
This song starts off on the softer side with a simple electric guitar line, but slowly builds up at around 0:40. The juxtaposition of the softer sounds paired with the loud drums in the background make this song a stand out.

Fifth Harmony: 7/27
Fifth Harmony starts off their album with a mantra to get “independent”, a theme that resonates throughout the album, providing us with yet another empowering set of hit songs this month. While remaining independent, Fifth Harmony also embraces their more vulnerable side with “Gonna Get Better” and “Write on Me.”

Recommended: “That’s My Girl”
The first song in the album, “That’s My Girl,” will quickly catche your attention with the strong beat that is accompanied by a horn. The quiet bridge builds up to the catchy chorus