Restaurant Review – LYFE Kitchen

Restaurant Review - LYFE Kitchen

Looking for a new healthy lunch place to add to your list of go-to’s? Try out the deliciously fresh Lyfe Kitchen in Palo Alto for your next meal out of the house. Staff photo by Eliza Crowder.

By Eliza Crowder

One of my favorite things about living in the Bay Area is the incredibly fresh food options and trendy restaurants that always seem to be popping up all around me. I have recently come to realize just how lucky we are to have such healthy food choices so close to us, especially after talking with some of my friends who have left this area for college. They are constantly telling me how much they miss fresh fruits and veggies and ethnic food, since they can’t seem to find food of the same caliber in their new college towns. I anticipate that I will face the same unfortunate circumstance when I leave for college next fall – but as for now, I’m trying as best I can to take full advantage of the quality food around me. 

I think the best place to find both trendy and yummy restaurants these days is good ol’ Downtown Palo Alto (or DTPA, as my friends and I call it). I really can’t think of another place with nearly as many delicious, fun, hip restaurant options. One restaurant that perfectly fits this standard is Lyfe Kitchen on 167 on Hamilton Ave in Palo Alto.

Lyfe is a very modern yet casual chain restaurant that puts a large emphasis on using local ingredients and creating healthy entrees with vibrant flavors. Lyfe’s extensive menu offers everything from sharable appetizer plates, a variety of pizza-esque flatbreads, tons of soup and salad options, a plethora of chicken and fish dishes, and of course, dessert. Some of the dishes I would highly recommend to those of you who have never been are the edamame hummus plate ($7), the grilled pepper quesadillas ($6.50), the roasted mushroom and goat cheese flatbread ($9), the mahi fish tacos ($11), and the quinoa crunch bowl ($10), (pictured above). 

Another aspect I love about Lyfe is the diverse seating options. There is both indoor and outdoor seating, round and rectangular tables, booths, counter options, and more. This variety makes Lyfe Kitchen suitable for any occasion – whether you’re with your family, with some friends, or on a date.

As you can see from the above prices on some of the menu items, Lyfe Kitchen is not ridiculously expensive, making it a great option for high school students who don’t want to spend too much of their own money on food. While I love eating out in the Bay Area, the prices do quickly add up and it’s nice to find some restaurants that aren’t as crazy expensive. 

Because Lyfe Kitchen heavily emphasizes healthy ingredients and local flavors, the restaurant has made it a top priority to offer a generous vegetarian and gluten free menu. So many people these days seem to be turning to gluten-free diets to combat both minor and major health conditions, and Lyfe Kitchen has taken this trend into consideration by making a large percentage of their menu options gluten free. So if you find yourself dealing with a dietary restriction, it is likely that Lyfe has taken that into account and will have options for you no matter what.

So if you’ve been seeking out somewhere a new lunch or dinner spot where you can get a satisfying meal that will leave you feeling good about yourself afterwards, Lyfe Kitchen is right up your alley. You won’t be disappointed by its food variety, comfortable ambiance, and attentive service.