Steve and Sally-12/3

How do I know if its right to get back together with my ex?

Sally:

Getting back together is always a pretty difficult decision. Make sure that you are already over the initial shock of the breakup when you are considering getting back together. This is important because at this time, you are most likely thinking about all the good times you’ll miss out on rather than the legitimate reasons why the relationship ended in the first place. Make sure to put the reasons in perspective to determine if they will be problematic in the future.

Additionally, think about whether it is the person that you really miss or simply the idea of being in a relationship. When a relationship ends, it is easy to feel lonely in response to no longer being around your ex-significant other all the time. Make sure that you can differentiate the idea of being happy in a relationship or being happy in a relationship with that significant other. They may seem similar, but trust me, they’re not.

Consider whether or not you can really forgive the person for what prompted your break up. It is easy to get caught up in wanting the same relationship back, but if you are going to get back together, you can’t let the problems of the past hang over your head. Make sure that you can move on from the problems and start fresh because otherwise getting back together isn’t going to work.

TL;DR: Consider the initial reasons for your break up and make sure that you have discussed and moved on from those issues before you jump back into a relationship with the same person.

Steve:

This sounds like the plot of one of those horrible mid-2000’s Adam Sandler romantic comedies where Drew Barrymore somehow finds herself making a cameo in the movie (I still don’t understand how she gets these roles). So, I’m going to give the same advice to you as I would to any major motion picture company that wants to put Drew Barrymore in their next movie: don’t do it.

See, the relationship you had with your ex was probably like an old Drew Barrymore movie. It was good during the time, but now you’re a much more mature and less cringy person (again, the latter a good definition of Drew Barrymore’s personality).

But enough of my Drew Barrymore rags (for now, at least). I think it’s important to recognize the fact that this person is your ex for a reason. There was something that obviously wasn’t working, so it seems to me that unless a miracle occurred, there’s still a problem between you two.

And if there’s any other major piece of advice I can give, it’s just to sit back and realize how many other fish in the sea. Don’t limit yourself to just one person just because there’s a sort of security blanket or familiarity to it. Get out there and hit the open market. You can thank me later.

TL;DR: You’re better than this. Don’t limit yourself to Drew Barrymore when there’s a potential Margot Robbie out there for you (a.k.a. The goddess of all goddesses). Get out in the world and explore the sea for the better.