Car Emergency Kit

High schoolers these days are constantly going from one activity to the next. Here is a list of the top 11 things you need to keep in your car to ensure that you are prepared for any situation you may face. Staff photo: Eva Herr and Electa Narasin.  

By Eva Herr and Electa Narasin

1. Gum and breath mints: Having gum and mints in your car will save you the embarrassment of bad breath and ensure that random gum cravings will never go unaddressed. You can also keep candy and treats in your car to indulge your sweet tooth. Don’t forget to refresh your stash of gum and food.

2. Feminine hygiene materials: For all ladies, storing a bag of feminine hygiene products is extremely useful and will come in handy at an unexpected time. If you are ever in the situation where you or a friend needs feminine hygiene products that you will be thankful you kept a stash in your car.

3. Water bottle: If you go on a spontaneous hike or forget water for a sports practice then having an extra water bottle either filled or unfilled will save your life.

4. First aid kit: Miniature first aid kits are not only relatively cheap but they provide you with a multitude of bandages and medicines that could come in handy if you or anyone ever gets hurt on the road.

5. Extra pair of clothes: We recommend that you keep a pair of sweatpants, a few sweatshirts, unmentionables, and a tshirt in a bag in your car. It goes without saying that every so often it is colder than you imagined or you get your clothes dirty or wet. In these cases having some extra warmth is super valuable.

6. Tissues/ Hand sanitizer: All of us make the mistake of spilling something on ourselves every once in a while. Tissues can help you clean up a mess and are also great for other reasons – if you get a cut or if you need to blow your nose. If you are a particularly messy person consider keeping wet wipes in your cars or paper towels. Hand sanitizer is also extremely helpful for cleaning you hands when you eat a last minute meals.

7. Money: If you have ever been in the situation where you forget money and have already ordered food, then you know how important having money in your car can be. Keeping a small stash of twenty or thirty bucks will be super helpful. 

8. Emergency food: You never know when you will need a snack or burst of energy, so keeping food that does not rot easily like power bars, nuts and trail mix is a good idea.

9. Umbrella: Weather is very unpredictable but having an umbrella stored in your car will assure that you are always prepared for the roughest of rains.

10. Blanket: Keeping warm, especially during the winter season, is very important. Keep a warm blanket in your car for when the weather is cold and when you’re needing a little extra comfort.

11. Portable charger: In this day and age, our phones are extremely important for day to day life. Many students often find that their phones run out of juice at the end of a long, jam-packed day. A portable charger, stored completely charged in your car, will aid you when you are on the road and are out of power.