Was the Gilmore Girls revival worth it?

Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in a scene from the television series “Gilmore Girls a Year in the Life” on Netflix. (Saeed Adyani/Netflix)

Co-spread editor Maudie Frye shares her thoughts on the groundbreaking Gilmore Girls revival. Let’s just say, she’s an expert.  Photo: Saeed Adyani/Netflix/Tribune News Service

By Maudie Frye

The night before the Gilmore Girls revival came out, an unhealthy amount of Menlo teachers emailed me asking me how excited I was for the big day. It was four teachers to be exact. Having said that, I took Amy Sherman Palladino’s pact to not spread the final four words very seriously, so this article includes no spoilers. For those of you who fit into this category, hold onto your hats. And for the other readers who are reading this out of a mixture of confusion and joy, I’m right there with you. My pure joy comes from the fact that the producers even chose to bring the show back, but why did they throw us such a monumental curveball?

Coming into the revival, I had numerous main questions. : Could Amy Sherman Palladino, the writer of Gilmore Girls, do it again? Would Rory end up with Jess, Logan, or Dean (ew), or a new love interest? Do Luke and Lorelai have a child? I won’t answer any of these questions, but trust me, you’ll see.

Having seen each original season seven times, (for those of you who care, season three is my favorite) my expectations were set high for the revival. Amy Sherman Palladino had forever proven herself as one of the most brilliant people in the world, but was she capable of bringing back Stars Hollow’s Charm, deal with Edward Herrmann’s death, and end the show the way she had originally planned, all while keeping true to Lorelai and Rory’s relationship? Gilmore Girls fans are a faithful bunch, including myself, but I am happy to say that, for the most part, “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life,” felt like any other day in Stars Hollow, except that Rory is in her 30’s, and well, you’ll see what’s going on with Lorelai.

This piece wouldn’t be complete without addressing the final four words. Palladino has mentioned many times in various interviews that even when season seven was ending, she wanted these four words to be the final words of the show. So, now, she finally gets her ending. Talk about a serious plot twist. If I could move to Stars Hollow, I would, but these four words really came out of left field. Just proves to me, again, that Amy Sherman Palladino never fails to disappoint.

As of right now, I could really see there being more episodes. I won’t tell you what it is, but the series ends on a serious cliffhanger. You can’t just leave us to fill in all those blanks! Maybe four more seasons, Amy? We’re ready for more Lorelai and Rory when you are.