Growing up with a famous parent

Growing up with a famous parent

To many of us, Mom is Mom. Dad is Dad. Our parents are important figures who shape our understanding of the world and our sense of self. They teach us vital life lessons and offer examples to follow. But what happens when Mom or Dad is also the role model of thousands of others around the world? Photo Courtesy of Shamberlin Young

By Nicole Woo

Growing up with a famous parent brings certain experiences and emotions that can be hard to relate to. Sophomore Braedon Young, son of Steve Young, Hall of Fame quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, shared his story growing up with a famous parent.

“It’s just always been a part of my life, so it’s just something I’m used to,” Young said. He wasn’t aware of his dad’s title until six years old. And even when he found out, his image of his dad didn’t change. “For me, he’s always just been my dad. He’s been there for me. He’s been my moral supporter. He’s just a normal person to me.” The attention and fame didn’t seem to affect the normality of their relationship either. “I don’t see him as the big ‘star’ that he’s sort of displayed as.”

Along with the idea of ‘public perception,’ Young recalls past encounters with strangers, which happens often. “I was in an airport. We got stopped by a huge crowd of people. At that point, we missed our flight,” Young said. “It was a little weird to me.” Before the scene, Young’s parents had told him his father was famous, but he did not understand what it truly meant and the effect it has on other people. “Wherever we are, at an airport or some sort, there’s always someone that stops us and wants to take a picture.”

Young remembers being annoyed by the attention at first. “I used to get mad at people for stopping him, but as I got older, I started to see a lot of these people sort of looked up to him, sort of how I look up to him,” Young said. His dad is his role model, just like any father usually is to their son, and it is humbling for Young to see that others are inspired by the Hall of Famer’s values and messages. “He holds a lot of good morals. I strive to be like him,” Young said.

Having a famous parent introduces the concern of special treatment and expectations from peers. “[For] a lot of people when they first realize who my dad is, I see a little bit of a difference in how they act,” Young said. “There’s been a lot of people who expect me to be a star athlete, [and] people who ask me if I play football.” Immediate perceptions people hold can be quite frustrating, and Young says some people seem like they are molding him into his parents. “But, I find the people I end up getting to know and engaging with more don’t change who they based on what they know about me.”

Additionally, there are no internal expectations or pressures coming from his family to mimic his father’s career. “Coming from my family, they don’t expect me to do anything I don’t want to do. There’s a lot of support from them,” Young said.

Young speaks about how having a famous parent has helped humanize his perception of other celebrities. “I feel like if I didn’t have these experiences, I wouldn’t know these people are just people too,” Young said. He sees the personal side, away from cameras, and shielded from public. “I know the stress it can cause on people. I’ve seen the background of it and know what’s going on,” Young said.

Having a famous parent can bring unexpected interactions with strangers and may limit privacy at times. But on a daily basis and in personal life, Young still sees his dad as his own, normal role model, regardless of fame. “To all of us he’s just dad. All of us forget [that] until it’s brought up,” Young said.