18 Things to do when you turn 18

18 Things to do when you turn 18

18th birthdays are milestones. It’s the year we are officially adults. We are given a multitude of new responsibilities and privileges. Upperclassmen, here are some exciting things to do during your special year!

(Image by Nicole Woo)

By Nicole Woo

1. Expand your job options
Is there a dream job you have always wanted but will only hire adults? That job is now yours! Plus, you can work longer hours, be more committed, and possible make more money.

2. Change your name
Have you always gone by a name completely different than the one on your birth certificate, or are you looking for an identity change? Make it official with a name change.

3. Buy a lottery ticket
You can now legally try your luck with a lottery ticket. Good luck!

4. Vote
Although the 2016 election has already passed, there are staggered House and Senate and local county elections coming up. Every vote counts.

5. Book a hotel room
You can finally book a weekend getaway with friends or travel independently with ease.
Creative commons image from Unique Hotel Group on Flickr.

6. Use bluetooth calling while driving
Did you know that as a minor, calling even with hands-free bluetooth is illegal when driving?

7. Pawn something
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Buy and sell old collectibles within your community!

8. Serve on jury duty

There comes great responsibilities with being an adult. Now, you may be asked to serve on jury duty.

9. Go skydiving or bungee jumping
Now that you don’t need your parents to sign waivers for daring physical activities, it’s time to step up to the challenge you have been wanting to do for years.

10. Get a tattoo or piercing
Once again, parent permission isn’t required. Tattoos and piercings are often rejected by parents, but now it is legal to get the body art you have been thinking of.

11. Buy and sell fireworks
Don’t get too excited, however. Fireworks are only for sale between June 28th and July 6th, and, your license to sell expires the 6th.

12. Sue someone
Legally, you can now sue someone. You can hire a lawyer and sign all legal documents.

13, Join the military
Serving for our country is an honor, and you are now eligible to do so.

14. Buy a car
A lot of Menlo students are extremely privileged and receive their first car from their parents. But at 18, you can officially purchase your own car and really earn independence on the road.

15. Gamble
It is now legal to gamble. But for most states, casinos restrict users to age 21.

16. Open a bank account
Managing your own money that you make on your new dream job is a true feeling of adulthood.

17. Go to jail
Unfortunately, no more shenanigans. Be careful with how you treat laws because you will be tried as an adult.

18. Get your own credit card
Your first credit card is equally a sign of independence and responsibility. It allows you the opportunity to build credit and increase your ability to borrow money in the future.