January Movie Review

Looking for a movie to watch this week? Staff writer Abby Wolfenden offers some insights about some of her favorite movies that she watched during the month of January. Read below for her reviews.

By Abby Wolfenden

The Shawshank Redemption
Rotten Tomatoes: 91%
Rating: R
Summary: The Shawshank Redemption is a film about a banker named Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins), who is convicted for allegedly murdering his wife and her lover. Andy is sent to Shawshank State Prison in Maine where he settles into a new life there and befriends “Red” (Morgan Freeman), the go-to smuggler of Shawshank. Andy finds unlikely friends and allies, as well as a role as the prison employees’ financial advisor. Throughout the film, Red narrates the story of Andy’s 19 years at Shawshank, and the struggles and ugliness he encounters during his time there.
Recommendation: This movie is without a doubt the greatest film I have ever seen. Though lengthy, not one moment is dull, and the actors play their parts perfectly. It is considered by many to be a classic American film, and the gripping plot can attest to this. Next time you’re on an airplane or a long car drive, Shawshank Redemption is the perfect movie for entertainment.

Image from IMDb.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Rotten Tomatoes: 81%
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) is a spontaneous teen, who doesn’t see the point in high school. After the ultimate performance of faking the stomach flu, Ferris calls up two of his friends and decides to spend the day in Chicago. What he doesn’t realize is that his suspicious principal and envious sister are plotting to catch him skipping school and expose him to his oblivious parents.
Recommendation: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is the perfect selection for humor. Matthew Broderick doesn’t disappoint with his carefree personality and random musical numbers. The 1980’s setting is also a great aspect of the film that adds an old fashioned touch.

Image from Paramount Pictures.

Spotlight

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%
Rating: R
Summary: Spotlight is the true story of an investigative journalism team from the Boston Globe, who worked to uncover the secrets behind the Catholic church in relation to abuse and child molestation. After digging up years of allegations covered up by the church, the Spotlight team began to realize the corruption and immorality of one of the world’s most respected organizations.
Recommendation: This movie is especially interesting because of the fact that all of the scenes were events that occurred in real life. It was both cool and reassuring to witness the persistence and resilience of American journalists as they worked towards exposing the Catholic church. The acting in Spotlight was fantastic, and the film was very informative in that it discussed a topic I had no prior knowledge of. I would definitely recommend Spotlight as the perfect drama movie, with a hint of mystery.

Image from Open Road Films.

Top Gun
Rotten Tomatoes: 55%
Rating: PG
Summary: Top Gun is about a naval pilot named Pete “Maverick” Mitchell and his wingman Nick “Goose” Bradshaw. After a mission at their naval base in the Indian Ocean, Maverick and Goose are sent to the Top Gun school in San Diego for training. At Top Gun, Maverick works towards graduating as the top pilot of the group. Along the way, Maverick and Goose undergo an fierce rivalry with “Iceman” and “Wolfman,” and learn various flying tactics to bring to the battlefield.
Recommendation: I really enjoyed this movie because it hits all the bases; action, humor, romance, and tragedy. All the flight scenes are super intense to watch, and Maverick and Goose have a hilarious friendship. The movie is full of funny lines, some of my favorites being “talk to me Goose” and “Maverick…I feel the need, the need for speed.” Overall, Top Gun is an extremely entertaining film, with a very action packed plotline.

Image from Paramount Pictures.

Footloose (Original)
Rotten Tomatoes: 53%
Rating: PG
Summary: Footloose is a story about a big city kid named Ren, who moves to the small southern town of Bomont, Georgia. In Bomont, Ren discovers a law prohibiting public dancing which he decides to challenge. Along the way he befriends the local preacher’s daughter, Ariel, and fellow peers Rusty, Woody, and Willard.
Recommendation: I definitely prefer the original 1984 version of Footloose to the 2011 version; however both are interesting films, unique in their own ways. The idea behind footloose is interesting, because it seems impossible for a town to ban something as simple as dancing. The acting in Footloose is fantastic, and one of my favorite scenes in Footloose is when Ren and his archenemy Chuck play “chicken” with tractors. All in all, Footloose is a great movie to watch during a weekend with family or friends.

Image from Paramount HE.