January Album Review

Check out co-spread editor Kaitlyn Tom’s reviews and critiques of some of the latest albums that came out during the month of January.

By Kaitlyn Tom

Kehlani : SweetSexySavage
Kehlani has recently emerged on the music scene because of her featured song “Gangsta” in the movie “Suicide Squad”. Raised in Oakland, Kehlani’s debut studio album provides an insight to her upbringing and personal struggles through catchy songs, making the album even more compelling.

Recommended: “Thank You”
“Thank You” expertly combines strong beats with a beautiful piano underlying melody, a feat that’s rarely successfully accomplished in the R&B or hip hop genres. The beats that mimic the sound of a heartbeat only emphasize how sincerely Kehlani is delivering the message of her lyrics.

Train : A Girl, a Bottle, a Boat
Train was one of the most popular artists a few years back, but as of late, has not produced any memorable albums. While this album is decent, it is so similar to Train’s previous albums (that have fallen out of popularity) that it simply isn’t interesting enough.

Recommended: “Lottery”
This song stands out from the rest of the rest of the album that lacks true originality and energy. The song contains strong beats, which Train songs typically lack, and the addition of a short drum solo followed by a latin beat instantly makes this song catchy.

David Bowie: No Plan
This album features the last recorded music of Bowie’s, which contain his music from the musical “Lazarus”. The posthumous release of this album only amplifies the haunting tunes this album contains.

Recommended: “No Plan”
The most mellow of all the songs in the album, “No Plan” stands out because of its beautiful simplicity. The perfectly executed switch from major to minor key coupled with a saxophone solo that discreetly emerges from the background make this song perfect for a relaxing night in.

John Mayer: The Search for Everything
John Mayer is making a comeback with his new album. “Love on the Weekend” has already become increasingly popular, and most likely, so will his other songs in this album.

Recommended: “You’re Gonna Live Forever in Me”
The song begins with what sounds like Mayer whistling, setting this song up as a laid back. While Mayer normally utilizes his strong tenor/bass voice, he goes in a different direction with this song, using falsetto, making his singing sound effortless and pleasing to the ear.