Best and Worst dressed on the Oscars Red Carpet 2017

Sunday night’s Academy Award show had it’s fair share of highs and lows; the red carpet was no different. Juniors Gracie Hammond and Gillian Bressie share some of the looks they loved and some that weren’t their favorites from the Oscars. Creative commons photo: Alan Light from Wikimedia Commons. 

by Gillian Bressie and Gracie Hammond

The Best:

Emma Stone: Emma managed to win best actress and best dressed in our books as well. We loved the fringe and embellishment as well as her styling. The 50s aesthetic channelled La La Land beautifully.

Nicole Kidman: Nicole’s dress was not only the perfect color palette for her skin tone, but also perfectly balanced detail and simplicity. We loved the hint of sparkle without going over the top as well as her tasteful accessories.

Janelle Monae: Janel is known for frequently wearing the loudest dress on the red carpet. While this dress was a little controversial, many thinking it was too over the top, we thought Janel looked stunning! We loved the detailing and sparkle.

Taraji P. Henson: We thought that Taraji looked absolutely stunning in this silhouette. The blue velvet fabric gave the dress more structure and a really beautiful tone.

Chrissy Teigen: Chrissy always manages to look stunning on the red carpet and last night was no different. We loved the embellishment and the interesting sheer bodice of this dress.

Kirsten Dunst: Kirsten kept it simple with this classic silhouette and solid color however the high-low skirt and train along with her beautiful diamond necklace gave just enough detail and interest to put this look in the top.

Viola Davis: We loved the simple silhouette of this dress with the detailed neckline. Viola won the award for best supporting actress and she lands herself in the best dressed as well.

The Worst:

Dakota Johnson: With a high ruffled turtle neck, bow peplum detailing and long sleeves, Dakota was covered head to toe in the ill-fitting champagne colored gown. The look was all too vintage and not in a good way.

Scarlett Johansson: This dress had such potential, however the metallic, studded belt coordinated poorly with the over the top, printed and sheer fabric.

Halle Berry: We weren’t exactly sure what was going on with this dress but we knew we weren’t feeling it. While the color scheme was interesting, the bandage style of the bodice gave us zombie ice skater vibes we didn’t quite love. That being said, the hem and metallic fringe detail moved beautifully as she walked out on stage.

Hailee Steinfeld: Though this dress had potential, there was just too much going on. The stunning textile was drowned out by excessive scalloped hems and floral appliques.

Ruth Negga: Once again with the turtlenecks and we’re still not impressed. We feel as though this dress would have made a lovely 1800s nightgown.

Naomie Harris: A short dress for the Oscars has never been our favorite, but with this train in particular, we really were not loving this look. We did however, love her shoes, accessories and styling.