February Album Review

Here’s what you missed in the world of music in the month of February. See below for junior Kaitlyn Tom’s thoughts on some brand new albums. 

By Kaitlyn Tom

John Mayer: The Search for Everything: Wave Two
While it doesn’t seem like one of the songs in this album will quickly rise to the top 40, the album in general is perfect for listening to during a laid back weekend.

Recommended: “Still Feel Like Your Man”
The bridge in the middle of this song makes this song stand out from the rest of the album. During the bridge, a guitar is added underneath Mayer’s effortless vocals, combining to make a combination as interesting as it is pleasing to the ear.

Bebe Rexha: All Your Fault: Pt.1
This album errs on the short side, but each song packs a musical punch. Rexha’s unique voice combined with different and complicated sounds creates an album that’s catchy.

Recommended: “Gateway Drug”
Even though all the songs in this album are fantastic, this song stands out because of it’s unique beat that’s expressed not by a drum, but by a computer created sound. While the background and Rexha’s vocals sound very different, they complement each other in an interesting way.

Rag’n’Bone Man: Human
Reminiscent of many of Hozier’s songs, Rag’n’Bone Man’s most recent album instantly captures a listener due to their expert ability to maintain their sound while also creating a diverse set of songs. Rag’n’Bone Man is an up and coming band that you should definitely keep your eye on.

Recommended: “Human”

Even though “Die Easy”, a completely acapella song that features Rag’n’Bone Man’s incredible voice, is a close second, “Human” earns the bid for the recommended song due to its irresistibly catchy tune and strong beat.

Little Big Town: The Breaker
Little Big Town is easily one of the most popular country bands, but their new album, while not a disappointment, still lacks the sparkle that made the band so popular in the first place. The harmonies don’t seem to differ much between songs, and the songs are all so similar in tempo and key that eventually they all start to sound like one long song.

Recommended: “Free”
The harmonies in this song makes it special; the group seems to take a risk with some different chords. The guitar in the background of the song as well as the relaxed beat make this song one of the best in the album.