In Photos: Students Return to Menlo Campus for First Time Since March

Sadie Stinson and Penelope Stinson

Menlo began their on-campus hybrid learning on Monday, Oct. 26. The Upper School was split into four cohorts; each cohort has the opportunity to return to campus for one week between Oct. 26 and Nov. 20. Students in the Gold A cohort returned to campus this week for in-person instruction. Prior to returning to campus, students were required to complete a variety of safety procedures, including reporting negative PCR results and signing a community responsibility agreement. On-campus safety features, such as plexiglass and fencing, were also installed.

Seniors Troy Demmon and Danielle McNair stand, socially distanced, in line to show their green One Medical badges to Health Services Coordinator Joan Barada. As students in the Gold A group arrived to their first day of hybrid learning, Head of School Than Healy, Dean of Freshmen Transition Cindy Lapolla and Dean of Students Tony Lapolla welcomed them back. Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

Freshman Alyssa and senior Tessa Grosso display their green One Medical badges for Barada. Prior to arriving on campus, students were also required to submit their recent negative COVID-19 test results online to Barada. New fencing was also installed around school entrances, ensuring that everyone who comes to campus is routed through a designated screening area. Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

Before school begins, seniors stand on designated circles on the senior quad. The circles, each spaced six feet apart, are a new measure by the administration to ensure that students are following social distancing regulations. Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

Senior Sareena Sandhu takes notes in English teacher Cara Plamondon’s Investigations course. In addition to the masks that both students and teachers must wear, Plamondon taught her class behind plexiglass. Students were also assigned their own desk and chair in each class, in order to support contact tracing efforts. Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

History teacher Dan Devitt listens to a student speak during his A block class. All teachers had Zoom carts set up in their rooms — a screen equipped with a high resolution camera — as well as a Chromebox and a microphone. Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

Science teacher Tanya Buxton listens to students during her A.T. Biology class. “Being back on campus was refreshing and super fun. I enjoyed seeing my friends and teachers, it seemed like everyone was happy to be back on campus,” senior Allison Pittman, who is in Buxton’s class, said. ‘It was nice to be able to speak to and ask questions of Ms. Buxton in person. I know you can do the same on Zoom or email, but it feels more personal and helpful to ask it directly.” Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

Senior Izzy Hinshaw studies on the senior quad during her free period. Students were not permitted to study in the library and instead were required to sit outside on their respective quads. “My first day back exceeded my expectations. I felt super safe and it was great to see my peers and teachers. Just being at school put me in such a good mood and I felt more engaged in my in-person classes. It’s a weird reality, but I am happy to be back and extremely grateful that Menlo has given us the opportunity to come back to school,” Hinshaw said. Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

History teacher Abby Tieck teaches her AP U.S. History students. During her A block class, Tieck opted to have a Zoom video feed of the students in the class, rather than having them each separately log onto Zoom. Staff photo: Sadie Stinson.

Freshmen Alexa Hua (left) and Lizzie Freehill (right) pose for a photo during their freshman Ethics course. In a normal year, all freshmen would have received shirts to wear on the first day of school, but this year, freshman lead Eve Kulbieda handed out gold helmets instead. Photo courtesy of Jack Bowen.

Student Council Activities Coordinator Brooke Weinstock planned different spirit activities for lunchtime, including throwing marshmallows into buckets. During lunch, students were required to eat outside while following guidelines for social distancing. Water fountains were also disconnected; instead, students were encouraged to fill their water bottles at contactless water bottle stations. Staff photo: Sylvie Venuto.