Committed Corner: Cleo Hardin, Yale University

Photo courtesy of Lexi Friesel

Senior Cleo Hardin committed to Yale University to play Division I volleyball in October 2022.

Hardin began playing volleyball in third-grade and started on her school’s team in fourth-grade. Then, she moved on to a beginner club team and kept playing club volleyball from then on. “I wanted to join the school [volleyball] team, because it seemed like a fun sport,” Hardin said.

During her eighth-grade year, Yale began showing interest in Hardin. At the end of Hardin’s sophomore year, Yale was one of several schools that reached out to her. While picking a school wasn’t an easy decision, Yale stood out to her for many reasons. “I really loved the campus and the girls,” she said. “I saw myself there more than any of the other schools that I had offers or official visits from.”

Growing up, Hardin played club soccer as well as volleyball. However, she had to make a decision when one of her club coaches in middle school asked her to choose between continuing to play volleyball or soccer. “I really loved volleyball and felt more passion towards it, so I had to quit soccer,” Hardin said.

Hardin never made a definitive decision early on to aim for recruitment; instead, it just felt like a path that was created for her. When schools began reaching out to her, she gained interest in being recruited.

Hardin appreciates the strong bonds between her team and the pace of the game. “I really love the individual aspects of each person’s game, but then how we all work together in a really positive team environment to make a common goal a reality,” Hardin said.