Swimming Succeeds with Underclassman-Heavy Team

Photo courtesy of Pam McKenny

With the Menlo swim team starting in the deep end after both the girls and boys finished last in CCS in 2023, the 2024 season has seen a change. 

Senior captain Connor Grant believes the 2024 season is the strongest of the four years he has been a part of the swimming program. “Not just because we have a couple of seniors who are really fast, but also there’s, like, freshmen that are really good,” Grant said. Freshmen Kai Chung and Riko Karachiwala have already qualified for CCS individually. 

So far, Grant has won all 10 races he has competed in and hopes to continue his winning streak throughout WBAL trials and finals. As for CCS, which Grant has already qualified for, he hopes to finish in the top five in each of his events.

Freshman Zoe Chuang, who has been swimming competitively since she was seven, has enjoyed the culture of the swim team. “It’s like a safe space because everyone’s really nice,” Chuang said. Chuang won the 100 breaststroke race at WBAL 3 and hopes to qualify for CCS individually during the WBAL trials or finals. She already qualified for CCS in relays with fellow freshmen Karachiwala and Ellie Gil, junior Sofia Flierl and seniors Sage Huddleston and Kenya Cassidy. “We made CCS for relays and our goal is to do our best there,” Chuang said.

Grant is excited for the future of the program with the strength of the freshman class. “I hope they carry on a high standard of swimming.”