Take Advantage of the Menlo Library’s Vast Resources

Sienna Lew
From left to right: Freshmen Annabel Zhao, Emily Li, Zoe Chuang and Kai Chung collaborate at the communal tables at the library.

For most students, the Menlo library exists only as a place for reading, and last-minute panic printing during lunch right before English class –– nothing more. But this limited view of the library’s offerings neglects the plethora of invaluable resources the library offers when it comes to research aids, one-on-one help, interactive displays, book recommendations and more.

One of the main ways that the Menlo Library can aid students is with research. As every Menlo student learns their freshman year and is reminded every year following, the librarians can point you to primary source books and help you cite your sources. While I believe that this can be a helpful tool and librarians are very eager to help you with it, most people don’t use a physical primary source unless explicitly demanded by their teacher. On perhaps a more realistic note, students can schedule face-to-face appointments with one of the librarians for specific research help, whether it be finding a topic, or citing sources, or really anything — they’re the experts.

If you’re not feeling like talking to the librarians, but instead just want a place to study or read, there aren’t many places better than the Menlo library. Beyond the bountiful bunch of books shelved at the library, there are countless study spots including quiet rooms, which can be scheduled throughout the day with a quick email to head librarian Brittney Otero.

However, these physical resources don’t even scratch the surface of the support the library can provide. To delve deeper, you have to leave the physical library because the resources that the Menlo library provides don’t end on the second floor of Stent Hall.

The Menlo library website is designed to support students in more ways than just finding a book, but many students don’t even know that there is a website for the library. The website is replete with research aids, like general guides to researching and even tips for better Google searching. Students can also access research guides crafted by Otero in conjunction with their teachers for the specific classes and assignments they have. 

If this isn’t enough, you can even schedule a meeting with Otero for help with a research project. “We’re basically a one-stop shop for everything,” Assistant Librarian Tracey Bobrowicz said.

Finally, and perhaps most important, the library website provides free access  to websites like the New York Times. We all love the daily Wordle and Connections and the Mini Crossword, but if you just go through the library website, click on subscription databases and go to the New York Times link, you can try some new games or go to any of the other 63 databases you can access via a free subscription through the Menlo library.

“Even if it has nothing to do with the library, if you’re lost, or confused or sad, whatever, you [can] come here and we will take care of you,” Bobrowicz said. 

In the middle of our campus, we truly have access to a special resource, the library. So, I implore you, talk to one of our three lovely librarians and also check out the library website at the link below. You truly won’t regret it.

Check out the Menlo School Library