Summer Young Commits to BYU for Track and Field

Photo courtesy of Pam McKenney

Picture this: it’s your first day trying a new sport, and you’re just beginning to learn its ins and outs. Five weeks later, you achieve marks in that same sport that qualify you to be recruited as a Division I athlete. Sound far-fetched? Not for senior Summer Young. Mere weeks after joining the Menlo track team for the high jump in April of 2023, her original personal record (5’6”) met college standards. After less than a year of training, Young committed to Brigham Young University for the heptathlon in December. 

Young’s late start to the sport meant her recruiting process progressed fast. Because of her high PR, she emailed and quickly got on the radars of several large track and field programs. “[My process joining track] was kind of overwhelming,” Young said. “I thought I was just going to [try it out as] a fun little new sport.”

At the 2023 Nike Outdoor Nationals, an esteemed competition for high school track and field competitors, she met BYU track assistant coach Tiffany Hogan. “She’s super enthusiastic and I could tell she saw my potential as an athlete. She is incredibly nice, but she also pushes her athletes a lot,” Young said. After learning more about the college, Young knew that she wanted to attend it regardless of whether or not it was for sports. 

“I really like the coaches and the team environment they have there,” Young said. “But I’m also really excited for school spirit.” She plans to attend the summer term beginning in late June to allow herself an opportunity to settle into college before track training begins.

Young said she believes her success at high jump came in part from her earlier career in gymnastics as well as her high school career in basketball. Former girls basketball head coach John Paye encouraged Young to try out track after being impressed at her ability to jump and touch the rim on a 10’ basketball hoop. 

Young initially thought she would commit for high jump before being recruited for the heptathlon. The heptathlon is a seven-part track event, which includes hurdles, sprints, jumps and throws. Because that is not an aspect of high school track, BYU recruited her based on the potential they saw in her rather than watching her compete in the event. 

Menlo high jump coach Keith Larson wasn’t surprised by BYU’s interest. “She’s just such a gifted athlete, and she’s super competitive,” he said. “She’s not satisfied with any mediocre stuff. She wants everything.”