Categories:

Menlo Football Annihilates Tennyson 49-0 in Season Opener

Juniors Palmer Riley (#11) and Jack Freehill (#3) celebrate together after the Knights’ opening touchdown.
Noah Levin

Menlo’s varsity football team defeated Tennyson High School 49-0 on Saturday, Aug. 31 in their first game of the season.

The Knights’ defense controlled the game from the first snap, causing a safety on the Lancers’ opening drive. Senior Jamie Forese returned an interception for a pick-six on the next drive.

Freehill (#3) makes an on-the-run throw

Menlo’s offense capitalized on the defensive stops, with junior quarterback Jack Freehill leading the way with four touchdowns — including one rushing — to take a 35-0 lead into halftime. 

The Knights furthered their lead in the second half with junior running back Chuck Wynn leading the way with a pair of rushing touchdowns. “Our defense played well and everyone stepped up to get this win,” Freehill said. 

The team looks to carry the momentum into next week’s matchup against Carlmont High School on Saturday, Sept. 7. “We have a rule on the team that we can celebrate for 24 hours and then we’re focused on the next week so we’ll celebrate this a little bit and be ready for Carlmont,” Freehill said.