Categories:

Menlo Volleyball Tops University

Senior Lauren Mrva tips the ball over Aragon’s blockers.
Devon Schaefer

Menlo’s varsity volleyball team defeated University High School 3-1 on Wednesday, Sept. 4. While the Knights lost the first set 25-16, they turned it around for the following three sets. “We started off pretty shaky in the first set. After that, we were a lot more aggressive, and we really tried to lean in and play as a team,” senior and volleyball player Lauren Mrva said. The Knights won the second and third sets 25-17 and 25-23, respectively. 

Freshman Alex Fair spikes the ball over the net. (Devon Schaefer)

In a close fourth set, Mrva was up to serve with a 28-27 lead over the Red Devils. “I was really nervous. All I wanted was to get my serve in,” Mrva said. Not only did she get her serve in, but she aced it for the Knights second win of the season. Mrva led the Knights with eight kills, freshman Alex Fair recorded five aces and junior Ava Wang contributed 18 digs.

“I think going forward, our biggest focus is going to be consistency. We know we can make big plays and have long rallies, but we need to do that throughout the game, not just sporadically,” Mrva said. After playing in the Spikefest tournament on Saturday, Sept. 7, the Knights play cross-town rival Menlo-Atherton High School on Tuesday, Sept. 10.