Categories:

Girls Golf Improves Scores

Freshman Elise Darling tees off at the Knights' season opener on Sept. 3. Photo courtesy of Pam McKenny.
Freshman Elise Darling tees off at the Knights’ season opener on Sept. 3. Photo courtesy of Pam McKenny.

Menlo’s girls golf team began their season with a collective score of 265 strokes in their first match on Sept. 3 at Baylands Golf Links. The team has steadily improved, most recently recording a 241 at The Golf Club at Moffett Field on Sept. 24.

“With everyone on the team putting in their best effort and showing up, we’ve been improving a lot throughout the season,” senior captain Sabrina Vohra said. “I think we’re just going to continue to improve.” 

Sophomore Annabel Zhao leads the team with a scoring average of 48. In the Knights’ match at Moffett Field, she recorded the team’s best score of the year with 45 strokes over the nine-hole round.

Head coach Mark Madayag is proud of the improvements that the girls have made so far this season. In particular, Madayag has seen the biggest change in the girls’ long games. “Our main focus in the next month is chipping and putting,” he said. “We’ve got to eliminate all these three-putts.”

Emphasizing team bonding has been one of the captains’ biggest goals according to Vohra. This includes going to team dinners after matches. “We’ve been trying to do a lot of team activities and bonding to make sure that everyone on the team is getting to know each other,” Vohra said. 

The team has two more matches on its schedule, both at its home course, Baylands Golf Links in Palo Alto. The first will be played on Oct. 10 against Mercy High School and Notre Dame High School, San Jose, and the second on Oct. 17 against Notre Dame High School, Belmont and The King’s Academy.