Categories:

Menlo Volleyball Falls to SHP in Hard-Fought Rivalry Match

Senior Lily Kautai high-fives a SHP player’s hand before the match
Devon Schaefer

Menlo’s volleyball team fell 3-0 to Sacred Heart Preparatory on Thursday, Oct. 17. The Knights took an early lead in the first set, but the Gators rallied to close the gap. After a close battle, the Knights ultimately lost 25-23. The second set started similarly, but with the Gators getting off to a hot start and the Knights coming up from behind. However, Menlo fell short and lost the second set 25-20. In the third set, the two teams were neck and neck in the beginning. Menlo pulled ahead, giving hope for a comeback, but then SHP narrowed the Knights’ lead. The teams went back and forth until the Gators won by two, winning the final set 31-29.

Senior Lily Kautai led the team with five aces and 14 kills. Junior Ava Wang added 21 digs and sophomore Jamie Johnson contributed 33 assists. While the team is unhappy they lost the match, they are proud of how they played. “I think all we were looking for going into this match was to compete and have fun,” senior captain Lauren Mrva said. “Obviously we always want these rivalry wins, but this was genuinely some of the best volleyball we played all season.” 

Mrva, who was pretty emotional after the game, reflects on her final few games playing volleyball for Menlo. “It’s my last few games with this team and in this program, and this is my last rivalry game so it’s always special to me to have this memory,” Mrva said. The team only has two more regular-season games left. They play Notre Dame San Jose away on Oct. 24 and Notre Dame Belmont on Oct. 28, for Menlo’s senior night.