Menlo Choral Program’s Winter Concert is a Success

Menlo’s chorus program held its annual Winter Concert on Wednesday, Dec. 11 at night in Spieker Ballroom, showcasing the talents of three different choirs and bringing holiday cheer to all. The Chamber Choir, Men’s Chorus, and Women’s Chorus all performed songs that they had been working on throughout the year along with Christmas carols and other holiday-themed songs. The concert’s title was What Sweeter Music after a poem by Robert Herrick and represents the transition from winter to spring, according to Choir teacher Karen Linford. Linford thought the concert went well and had “lots of energy and enthusiasm.” She enjoyed the energy between the audience and the singers and was happy that her choirs could finally perform in front of a live audience.

Some highlights of the program were the Women’s Chorus singing a ballad to a barista called “Taylor the Latte Boy” followed by “Taylor’s Rebuttal,” a performance by the Men’s Chorus complete with Starbucks aprons over their tuxedos. The addition of the Men’s and Women’s Choruses this year have been a nice variation on the Chorus program this year. “It’s fun having a men’s chorus this year,” said Linford, citing their energy as a positive addition to the concert. According to sophomore Chamber singer Claire Wilson, the Men’s and Women’s Choruses “killed it” with their performances. Chamber Choir also put on an a cappella rendition of Beyonce’s “Halo” complete with beat-boxing and solos from sophomore Makena Lambert and senior Justin Wang.

All in all, the performance was very successful and fun for all those involved. In the future, look forward to a joint performance  Orchestra and soloists from chorus in late January.