MLB: AL East Preview

This week, the Coat of Arms previews the AL East division, a normally strong but somewhat weak division this year…

Michael Shames | Co-News Editor

The AL East division featured many moves but is actually weaker than normally. 

Baltimore Orioles (91-69)
    Notable Additions:
    OF Travis Snider, RP Wesley Wright
    Notable Subtractions: OF Nelson Cruz, OF Nick Markakis, RP Andrew Miller
    Yes, the Orioles lost one of the most powerful in hitters in the league from a year ago in Cruz. But, young third baseman Manny Machado is looking to keep improving, and first baseman Chris Davis will definitely have a bounce back year after an atrocious 2014. Also in the lineup are outfielder Adam Jones, who has silently been one of the best players in the league over the past few years, and catcher Matt Wieters, who will look to stay healthy this year. Their pitching and defense will continue to be stellar, with Chris Tillman and Kevin Gausman leading that rotation. Expect the O’s to have another solid season.

Toronto Blue Jays (84-78)
    Notable Additions:
    C Russell Martin, IF Josh Donaldson, OF Michael Saunders, IF Justin Smoak
    Notable Subtractions: IF Brett Lawrie, OF Anthony Gose, RP Casey Janssen
    I absolutely love what the Jays did this offseason. They essentially swapped yet-to-breakout Lawrie for an already proven star in Donaldson. Martin had a terrific year last season in terms of both hitting and defense. Saunders is a good defensive player who can also get on base at the top of a lineup. These hitters are already in addition to power hitters José Bautista and Edwin Encarnación, who are each very scary hitters in the middle of a lineup. The reason why they won’t be able to win the division is pitching. With Marcus Stroman out for the season after a devastating injury, Mark Buerhle looks to be the only solid starter on the roster.

Boston Red Sox (81-81)
    Notable Additions:
    IF Hanley Ramirez, IF Pablo Sandoval, SP Wade Miley, SP Rick Porcello, SP Justin Masterson
    Notable Subtractions: OF Yoenis Cespedes, IF WIll Middlebrooks, SP Rubby De La Rosa
    The Red Sox were one of the most active teams in the offseason this year, signing Ramirez and Sandoval, and trading for pitching. However, I do not know how valuable their moves will be. Ramirez has been having constant injury issues over the past several seasons, and while Sandoval is a legendary postseason hitter, he has struggled at times in the regular season. As for the pitching moves, Porcello was the only move I understood, as he had a pretty good 2014, but they had to give up Cespedes to get him. He will compete with Clay Bucholtz for the top starter on the team, but neither is a true number one guy. Masterson was probably the worst starter in the entire league last year, and Miley is an overrated pitcher playing on a bad team. They still have Ortiz in the lineup, who is entering the final stage of his respectable career. He and others need to stay healthy if the Sox want any chance of snagging a wild card spot.

New York Yankees (80-82)
    Notable Additions:
    SP Nathan Eovaldia, IF Garrett Jones, IF Didi Gregorius
    Notable Subtractions: IF Derek Jeter, RP David Phelps, SP Shane Greene, C Francisco Cervelli
    With Derek Jeter now retired, this team seems to be officially entering a new era; an era in which winning will not be as commonplace. Their lineup is looking pretty dull as of now, especially if IF/DH Alex Rodriguez finds himself in it. C Brian McCann had a down year last year, and will probably continue in that trend, considering catchers tend to have relatively short primes. OF Jacoby Ellsbury was average, but his enormous contract suggests he is supposed to be the star of this team. OF Carlos Beltran is probably making that transition from productive veteran to old spot-filler. IF Mark Texeira just can’t seem to stay healthy. OF Brett Gardner supposedly had a “good year”, but batted .256. Their pitching has just as many, if not more question marks, as starters CC Sabathia, Masahiro Tanaka, and Michael Pineda are all coming off injury-riddled seasons. I do like the move to go out and get Eovaldi, but that will not be nearly enough to put these guys in the playoff race.

Tampa Bay Rays (72-90)
    Notable Additions:
    C/DH John Jaso, C Rene Rivera, RP Kevin Jepsen, IF Absdrubal Cabrera
    Notable Subtractions: OF Will Myers, IF/OF Ben Zobrist
    This is just not a great baseball team. Their only good hitter is IF Evan Longoria, who struggled to get on base last year, while battling his share of injuries. Jaso could provide a decent bat, but nothing that will make you jump out of your seat. They traded away Myers, who was their best (and maybe only) young piece of offensive talent. The Rays’ pitching is maybe slightly above average, with starters Alex Cobb and Drew Smyly looking to continue their success. The rest of their rotation and their bullpen are not as solid though. This team will not exceed anyone’s expectations, not that they were very high to begin with.