CCS spring sports update: baseball, boys tennis and track

With many key CCS matches having taken place over the weekend, we update you on the current status of Menlo’s spring sports teams. Staff photo by Emilio Simbeck.

By Baily Deeter and Emilio Simbeck

Boys tennis

In a rematch of the CCS Finals that took place just over a week before, the Menlo boys tennis team went head to head with Saint Ignatius in the NorCal championship, ultimately falling to the Wildcats by a score of 4-3.

On Friday, May 19, the Knights drove down to Folsom to play Lowell of San Francisco. They handily won their first match 6-1, and won by the same score in the semifinals later that afternoon versus Davis, securing themselves a spot in the championship for the following day.

In a different story from last week’s tilt versus the Wildcats, the Knights were able to get the better of their opponents in the singles competition. Juniors Sid Chari and Clark Safran were both able to get big wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots respectively, with sophomore John Kim also taking the No. 4 spot. Freshman Brandon Aprill fell at No. 2.

The Wildcats once again swept the doubles play, enabling them to get the crucial victory even without their best singles outing.

This match concludes the season for the Knights, who end play with an impressive 25-4 overall record.

Boys baseball

Behind a superb performance in the CCS quarterfinals from senior captain Griff McGarry on the mound, the Menlo Knights defeated the Half Moon Bay Cougars by a score of 2-1. With the win, the Knights secured a spot in the next round where they will face Saint Francis SCP.

McGarry, a University of Virginia baseball signee, struck out nine batters over his 6 2/3 inning game, allowing only five hits and zero runs. As McGarry left the mound for the final out, the Knights were holding a two-run lead with two batters on base.

Entering the game for the save was sophomore Justin Nam, who had a solo home run in the third inning to double the Knights lead. Nam allowed an RBI, but then ended the game promptly with a strikeout.

The Knights’ first run came off of an RBI single from senior captain and catcher Ben Somorjai, who drove in freshman Ian Collins in the first inning.

Menlo’s semifinal matchup will take place at the San Jose Municipal Stadium on Tuesday, May 23, where they secured a CCS championship the year before.

Track and field

Many Menlo athletes qualified for the CCS finals in track and field with impressive performances at the CCS trials in Gilroy on Saturday.

The girls relay team of Lauren Hamilton, Electa Narasin, Michelle Louie and De’Jeane Stine qualified with a stellar showing in the 4×100. Individually, Robert Miranda qualified in the 3200-meter race, Kyra Pretre qualified in the 800-meter race, and Alexandra Chan qualified in the 100-meter hurdles.

Miranda, after missing the entire cross country season due to a stress fracture in his ankle, has bounced back nicely and is continuing to dominate, especially in distance races. He finished seventh in the 3200-meter race with a solid time of 9:49.16. Pretre, a freshman, finished fourth in the 800-meter race with a personal record of 2:18.06. Chan finished seventh with an impressive time of 15.62 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles

In addition, the girls 4×100 relay team set a league record with their phenomenal time 49.65 seconds, while the 4×400 relay team of Chan, Narasin, Pretre and Charlotte Tomkinson set a school record with their time of 4:05.38. The 4×100 team placed eighth while the 4×400 team placed tenth.

Junior Makayla Conley (high jump) and freshman Caleb Julian-Kwong (110m hurdles) also placed at 18th and 28th, respectively, with Conley clearing the bar at four feet, 10 inches.

Qualifiers will advance to the CCS Finals on Friday, May 26 at 6pm in Gilroy.