Menlo defeats visiting Coronado from SoCal

Greg Lim
Menlo School boys water polo. Photo by Greg Lim.

Senior Niko Bhatia rises above an opponent in a game earlier this season. Photo courtesy of Menlo Flickr.

By Emilio Simbeck

The Menlo boys water polo team survived a scare from SoCal powerhouse Coronado high school last Thursday, eventually prevailing by a score of 14-11.

The showdown came on senior night for the Knights, where they honored seniors Miller Geschke, Jayden Kunwar, Gary Marston, NIko Bhatia, Ben Gur and Atreya Iyer. Most of the seniors had been on the team for three or four years, making the night all the more special.

After Menlo came out of the gates fast with an early lead, Coronado was quick to make back the ground they had lost. The game was tied up midway through the second quarter, only for the Knights to once again jump out in front. They held onto a two goal lead at halftime intermission.

After the break, Menlo kept on the pressure, and never looked back on their lead. Not only was the night special for the seniors because of the occasion, but because of their great play. Senior Niko Bhatia, who has been on the varsity team for four years, totaled five goals. Fellow senior Miller Geschke also had a hattrick.

This concludes this year’s Menlo-Coronado two game series, as each team makes a trip up and down the coast every year to play.