Varsity Volleyball Defeated by Menlo-Atherton

Menlos+student+cheering+section%2C+the+Sea+of+Gold%2C+poses+for+a+group+picture+at+the+game.+Photo+courtesy+of+Staff+Photographer%2C+Bella+Scola.+

Menlo’s student cheering section, the Sea of Gold, poses for a group picture at the game. Photo courtesy of Staff Photographer, Bella Scola.

Samantha Stevens, Opinions Editor

The women’s varsity volleyball team suffered a tough loss against Menlo-Atherton High School (M-A) on Tuesday, Aug. 28, with a final score of 3-0.

This was the Knights’ second game of the season after having lost 3-1 against Aragon High School on Friday, Aug. 24.

The first set ended 18-25, putting the Knights at a disadvantage early on. They went on to lose the second set 19-25. Finally in the third set, the Knights had a surge of energy, but ultimately weren’t able to keep up with the M-A bears, who clinched the set 16-25.

Knights return the ball to the Bears. Staff photo by Samantha Stevens.

With M-A being one of Menlo’s biggest rivals, there was a sizeable student turnout at the away game, which was “white-out” themed. Sea of Gold leaders brought face paint for the crowd and led enthusiastic cheers to support the team.

But the Sea of Gold crowd didn’t cheer without challenge; M-A fans brought just as much energy to the game. “The toughest part in general was just losing to a rival school. It’s always difficult to fall to a team where you know the people on the other side of the court, especially when the crowds are super loud at the game,” senior outside hitter Grace King said. King, a Cal Poly commit, totaled 20 kills against M-A.

Other big contributors included senior libero Riley Holland with 16 digs, and freshman setter Zoe Gregory with 18 assists.

Though the team has gotten off to a rocky start, the Knights remain hopeful going into their third game of the season against Saint Francis on Thursday, Aug. 30.